How can coaches increase their effectiveness? In answering this question, Drs. Frank Smoll and Ronald Smith conducted over 25 years of research on coaching behaviors and their effects on young athletes. A sport psychology training program for coaches was developed and tested in this research. This program, the Mastery Approach to Coaching, is the only scientifically validated coaching-education workshop that has been shown to have the following outcomes:
- Fosters positive coach-athlete relations and greater mutual respect
- Increases the amount of fun that athletes experience
- Creates greater team cohesion and a more supportive athletic setting
- Promotes higher mastery-oriented achievement goals in sports and in school
- Increases athletes’ self-esteem
- Reduces performance-destroying anxiety and fear of failure
- Decreases athlete dropout rates from approximately 30% to 5%
- Produces equally positive effects on boys and girls teams
With every purchase, an additional copy of the MAC video and its supplementary materials will be donated to an underprivileged team.
Mastery Approach to Coaching (MAC) Content Outline (Part 1 of 5, 13 minutes):
- Sport psychology and its application to coaching young athletes
- The Mastery Approach to Coaching manual Program objective: teach coaches how to apply leadership principles that create a mastery climate...
Mastery Approach to Coaching (MAC) Content Outline (Part 2 of 5, 13 minutes):
Achievement in Sports and in Life
- The link between learning to achieve in sports and in life
- Defining success in terms of mastery versus ego orientations to achievement
Mastery Climate Research Results
Mastery Approach to Coaching (MAC) Content Outline (Part 4 of 5, 15 minutes):
• Behavioral Guidelines for Youth Sport Coaches
C. Maintaining Order and Discipline
Eliminating athletes’ misbehaviors before they occur
How to develop and implement a team rule system
D. Dealing With Violations of Tea...
Mastery Approach to Coaching (MAC) Content Outline (Part 5 of 5, 7 minutes):
- What self-awareness means and why it’s important
- Techniques for increasing self-awareness
Relations With Parents
- Eliminating parental problems before they occur
- How to organize and conduct meeting...